[Debian-med-packaging] Take over ITKSNAP?

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:56:40 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

I spend some time looking into updating ITKSNAP to the latest release

http://packages.debian.org/sid/itksnap

However, with all the changes in the ITK/VTK/GDCM world that I have yet to
digest I feel that my
time has come, and ITKSNAP maintenance would better be done in this
universe as well. For
example, it looks like building ITKSNAP these days involves pulling in a
dependency chain that
includes every single Java and Python library built by GDCM and VTK that I
have ever heard of ;-)

At some point I had a brief chat with Steve Robbins discussing whether it
would make sense to
build ITKSNAP as part of the insight applications. We concluded that having
it separately would
yield more recently packages. That _was_ true. However, in the light of my
chronic lack of time
and the aforementioned heavy inter-dependencies, I think that decision
needs to be re-evaluated.

Summary of the situation:

- ITKSNAP in Debian is at 2.2.0 and built against fltk 1.1
- Latest ITKSNAP is 2.4
- Latest upload of ITKSNAP was an NMU -- the relevant patch was absorbed
upstream and is part of 2.4.
- The Debian package should switch to fltk 1.3 (comes with wheezy)
- It looks like the next ITKSNAP release will swicth away from fltk
entirely and move to Qt

- The ITKSNAP git repo on Alioth is a CVS import from the original upstream
repo and has all the "latest"
  packaging stuff.
- Upstream switched to Git in the meantime

Regards,

Michael