[Debian-med-packaging] r-other-mott-happy_2.3-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sun Jul 21 07:42:30 UTC 2013

On July 21, 2013 01:08:03 AM Luke Faraone wrote:
> Hello Steve, Charles,
>
> On Sat, 2013-07-20 at 22:35 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > On July 20, 2013 10:29:19 PM Charles Plessy wrote:
> > > Yes, we can distribute these binaries that are not build from source,
> > > because they are cruft.  As you suspected, after deleting the files,
> > > everything works fine.  To me, it demonstrates that repacking is
> > > pointless,
> > > because it provides no service to anybody.
> >
> > I agree with Charles.  I typically handle such items by deleting them in
> > the "clean" target to demonstrate they are not used to generate the
> > binary. That's always been sufficient in the past.  Has something
> > changed?
> From <https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html>:
>         Your package contains generated files (such as compressed .js
>         libraries) without corresponding original form. They're not
>         considered as the preferred form of modification, so you will
>         either have to provide corresponding original form, or **remove
>         them from your tarball**, eventually depending on an already
>         available packages to provide missing features.
>
> (emphasis added)

That makes perfect sense for generated files that are used in the build.  In
this instance, we are talking about "cruft"; i.e. files that are included in
the tarball by accident.

> This also applies to (binary) files not used in the building of the
> package.

This is not part of the FAQ.  I would suggest that this is an overly-strict
interpretation of the rules.

Let's recall what the intention is.  The goal is is that, as indicated above,
the tarball contain the files in "the preferred form of modification".  Assuming
it does, and such files are used in the build, there is no harm if the tarball
also includes (accidentally or intentionally) generated files.

Cheers,
-Steve