[Debian-med-packaging] Glasso, QUIC ...

Laszlo Kajan lkajan at rostlab.org
Mon Mar 11 18:55:04 UTC 2013

Hello Matyas!

> I got the approval for OSS involvement. Now I am bogged down on one issue... I hoped you may have some insight.

This is great news!

> It is about revision control and project maintenance. The background: The QUIC code was developed at UT Austin and we used CVS, because that was
> supported. Finally a git server is available (gitolite) and I converted the CVS repo to git. I started to use git and now that is my choice for
> new projects.
>
> However, I have a hard time figuring out a good setup that would work for distributing the code under debian (and else?) while doing development
> on related code. (At UT we are currently working on a version of QUIC to run on very large matrices.)
>
> My usual setup (until now) at UT as a student was to have a project directory for the latex files and under it a Code directory for the scripts
> and programs. Under this Code dir I have the Makefile and else that is needed to produce the Matlab and R packages.
>
> Recently someone contacted me and told me they made a Python wrapper for the QUIC package with the code distributed on github. (pyquic)
>
> So I am trying to figure out how can I structure the repos so that I would allow outside contributions, while have some development that is not
> public (new versions not ready to distribute before publishing for example). I thought using git submodules and I am reading up on that.
>
> So the goal is that I would have only a single repo for the QUIC code, but it could be a part of my research paper repo and the debian/R package
> repo, would allow the python wrapper etc. I am realizing that this is not as easy to structure as I originally thought.
>
> Maybe this is not something you could comment on. If you can point me to someone that you know has a similar problem and found a good solution,
> I would appreciate a pointer... Maybe I should post on a git forum...

Ok before I go into details with the answers: do you mind if I re-post this on the Debian Med mailing list
<debian-med-packaging at lists.alioth.debian.org>? That is the list of the team I work with in Debian. They are very helpful and have seen more
code than I have. It would be good to have them in the discussion. It would be good if you could subscribe to that list [1] too.