[Debian-med-packaging] New version of GNU Health - please review

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Tue May 7 00:09:27 UTC 2013

Hi Emilien,

On Tue, 7 May 2013 06:02:11 Emilien Klein wrote:
> 2013/5/4 Thorsten Alteholz <debian-med at alteholz.de>:
> [...]
> > Your workaround for extra-license-file now creates:
> >   X: gnuhealth-server: package-contains-broken-symlink
>
> The override_dh_link target you added for gnuhealth [0] results in
> those [low importance] Lintian warnings.
> Although the code specifies the full path
> (/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3), somehow the links end up being
> relative (../../../../common-licenses/GPL-3). This works fine when the
> package is installed, but in the temporary build package those
> relative symlinks point to a non-existing file.
>
> I don't want to spend too much time on this, but do you have any idea
> how to solve the Lintian warning, i.e. really create full symlinks
> instead of relative?
>
>    +Emilien
> [0] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/gnuhealth/trunk/debian/rules?r1=12471&r2=12470&pathrev=12471

No, I don't know how to make absolute links, sorry.

Links were introduced to avoid installing redundant files with text of
GPL-3 license that would produce a more severe lintian warning.

I never tried/needed to produce absolute links but I know that the
workaround is correct even with relative links. Lintian is worried
because linked file(s) belong to another package (not because links
are relative).

To acknowledge that you're aware of "problem" and all right with it
you can add a lintian-overrides ideally accompanied by comment like
this:

    # False-positive: lintian suspect broken link because its destination
    # belong to another package.

Alternatively you may just remove GPL-3 files from binary package(s).
I didn't do it because I wasn't sure that it won't produce run-time
warnings about missing file.

Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B

---

Live a good life. If there are gods & they are just, then they will not
care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues
you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not
want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but
will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your
loved ones.
        -- Marcus Aurelius