[Debian-med-packaging] Please explain binary files without source in Rsamtools

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Wed Oct 30 10:12:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

as formerly posted here I'm working onn the Debian packaging of
preconditions for the new version of cummeRbund.  The package Rsamtools
belongs to the tree of dependencies and inside its source I found some
binary files with unclear origin which will not be accepted.  Since
Martin Morgan pointed me in previous cases to the documentation inside
the package I tried to verify this first but failed.  Here are the
files in Question:

Files: inst/extdata/CaffeineTxdb.sqlite
 I tried `grep -R CaffeineTxdb` with no hit.

Files: inst/extdata/ex1.bam
 I tried

  $ grep -R ex1\.bam | grep -v system\.file
  inst/unitTests/test_BcfFile.R:        checkEquals("ex1.bam", h[["Sample"]])
  inst/doc/Rsamtools-Overview.Rnw:list.files(dirname(bamFile), pattern="ex1.bam(.bai)?")
  inst/doc/Rsamtools-Overview.R:list.files(dirname(bamFile), pattern="ex1.bam(.bai)?")
  src/samtools/knetfile.c:                fp = knet_open("http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/lh3/ex1.bam", "r");

 None of these files is kind of documenting the origin and even worse
 the URL at www.sanger.ac.uk does not exist any more.

Files: inst/extdata/ex1.bam
 I tried `grep -R ex1\.bcf | grep -v system\.file` with no hit

Files: inst/extdata/example\.gtf*:
 I tried `grep -R example\.gtf  | grep -v system\.file` with no hit

Files: inst/extdata/example_from_SAM_Spec*:
 These files are neither documented nor used since not even
   grep -R example_from_SAM_Spec
 shows any hit

Files: inst/extdata/olaps.Rda
 This file is mentioned in a load statement in
  inst/doc/Rsamtools-Overview.R
 but no hint to its origin.

Files: inst/unitTests/cases/ex1.sam.gz
 Except of the first two lines this is a copy of file
  inst/extdata/ex1.sam

Files: inst/unitTests/cases/ex1_*.bam*
 Seems these files are derived from file
  inst/extdata/ex1.sam
 and just used for verification of the correctness of
 Rsamtools.  Please confirm this suspicion.

Files: inst/unitTests/cases/plp_refskip.bam*
 I tried `grep -R plp_refskip | grep -v system\.file` with no hit

It would be really helpful if you could clarify the origin of these
files since otherwise Debian ftpmasters will consider the package
as non-free which will prevent it from inclusion into main Debian
distribution and in turn we also could not get cummeRbund updated.

Kind regards and thanks for your cooperation