[Debian-med-packaging] MNE v0.8 packaging

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Mon Aug 4 07:10:36 UTC 2014

Hi Alexandre,

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 06:44:59PM -0400, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:
> hi,
>
> I pushed a fix on the copyright file.

I'd (strongly) recommend to use

    cme fix dpkg-copyright

You find what packages you need to install for cme in Debian Med policy
document.  By doing so I found two remaining incompatibilities in
d/copyright.  When fixing them I changed the file to match the original
intention of DEP5 to use a main license section if the very same license
is used more than once.

> git-buildpackage reported no error for me.

That's good to know. :-)

However, the package builds but since the compressed JS files are
remaining in the upstream tarball it is considered as affected by a
"binary without source" problem.  You can reproduce this by installing
the latest lintian from unstable (lintian 2.5.25) and run

   lintian -i python-mne*.changes

which will print the errors I was quoting in my last mail.  Any upload
with this lintian error will be rejected.

There are two ways to fix this:

  1. Provide the uncompressed source for all mne/html/*.min.js files
     and make sure you are using these in the final package.
  2. Use

      Files-Excluded: mne/html/*.min.js

     in debian/copyright and create a DFSG free tarball for instance
     by using

      get-orig-source:
		uscan --verbose --force-download --repack --compress xz

     as new target in debian/rules.  The tarball should be named
     python-mne_0.8.2+dfsg.orig.tar.gz and you can easily approach this
     by adding

      opts="uversionmangle=s/$/+dfsg/"

     in debian/watch.  Than `git import-orig --pristine-tar` this tarball.
     Finally you need to Depend from the libjs-* packages needed and
     create symlinks to the relevant places.

Since as far as I can see all JS libraries are packaged for Debian I'm
storngly in favour of the later way since this the lest questionable way
regarding the usage of compressed JS files as far as I'm interpreting
past discussions on debian-devel.  If anything remains unclear feel free
to ask here on this list (BTW, there is no need to CC me any I also
think Yaroslav is reading the list - if you confirm that you are reading
it I also stop CCing you personally which is the usual list policy).

> hope we're good now

As said above we need to care for all lintian errors first.