[Debian-med-packaging] Status of igraph packaging for Debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Aug 8 15:02:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I realised that the official igraph/c package in Debian missed the
latest upstream development since the project has moved from Sourceforge
to GitHub.  I just updated the packaging metadata in Debian SVN to set
some flag here but I do not find the time currently to work on a real
packaging update (which would be nice to have in the next couple of weeks
since the Debian freeze for the next stable release will be soon).

When downloading the source tarball of version 0.7.1 I realised that it
included some kind of competing Debian packaging done by Tamas Nepusz.
Tamas, do you have any precise reason to do something else than the
official Debian packaging?  I noticed that there was some kind of
"version gap" between version 0.5.4 (last update Wed, 11 Apr 2012) and
0.6.5 (last update Tue, 12 Mar 2013) and the only thing I could assume
would be that you intended to fill this gap.  If this is the case I
wonder why you did not contacted us to ask us for an / help us to do an
update?

Currently the packaging included in the source tarball is as outdated as
our official packaging and besides this a debian/ dir inside a source
tarball does not help at all (but rather creates trouble for us - this
was discussed frequently on Debian lists, feel free to ask for more
details why this is a bad idea).  So I wonder whether we could keep on
working on this together instead of making competing efforts with
currently no outcome for our users.

If you agree please let us discuss the next steps here on the
development list since more people are involved into this.

Kind regards and thanks for working on igraph as free software