[Debian-med-packaging] Please allow relicensing for older versions of two single files from PHYLIP

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Feb 25 12:22:36 UTC 2014

Hi Joe,

you might remember some past discussion about the license of PHYLIP.
Since we tried to include PHYLIP in official Debian for the profit of
users of the large pool of biological software inside Debian[1] we asked
you about a  more relaxed license to provide it in the main distribution
rather than in non-free.  I have understood that you are not interested
in a license change of the whole code.  However, we now have the case
that the well known program seaview is using just two single files from
PHYLIP (namely src/dnapars.c and src/protpars.c) and the code copies are
not from a recent but rather from an older version (3.52c).  I wonder
whether you would agree upon relicensing just these two single files to
preferably GPL 3 (as the seaview code).

This would be really helpful for the users of seaview.

Thanks for considering

      Andreas.

[1] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio