[Debian-med-packaging] Patch for ampliconoise

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Feb 25 15:54:20 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 02:47:16PM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> > Cool!  I just noticed your commits and did some first steps into getting
> > it straight into Debian.  I'm a bit worried about the JS files which are
> > considered as "binary without source" by ftpmaster.  I'll see what I can
> > do to relax the situation.
>
> I'd be inclined to agree with ftpmaster on this one, as packed JS is
> virtually unhackable, but if you look through the various JS files here
> most are in unpacked form, plus all the sources are listed in LICENCE.md
> so it would be doable to make this DFSG compliant.

I agree that I might have been a bit exaggerated and perhaps the
situation is not as bad as expected (I just had a quick look when I
wrote the mail above.  I think we could definitely get rid of the
suspicious file

   doc/files/files.zip

It is only used in the tutorial and I patched it to download the file
from web rather than having a local copy.  This will save us from some
copyright discussion and a rarely used space consuming file (IMHO, feel
free to disagree).

Once I was starting to remove files I also have removed the code copy of
libjs-twitter-bootstrap.  Please verify that your target distribution
will include this Build-Dependency (as well as dh-linktree!).  If this
might cause you trouble we can revert the removal and do some
conditional build.

> Unfortunately it
> does mean packaging lots of little scraps off GitHub and there is no
> saying if different versions of the JS will be compatible.
>
> It raises the question - should a package like this be "compiled" by
> packing all the JS at build time?  Are you aware of any packages that do
> this?

Once I had to deal with an RC bug in gnumed-client where it was
sufficient to provide the JS sources in the debian/ dir in addition to
what upstream provides.  There is no need to work down all the stuff by
separate packages

> Anyway, for now I just want to try and get things working.

I will have a deeper look and let you know.