[Debian-med-packaging] Please allow relicensing for older versions of two single files from PHYLIP

Manolo Gouy manolo.gouy at univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Feb 26 13:36:38 UTC 2014

Hi Joe and Andreas,

Thank you for informing me of this initiative to possibly change the license of PHYLIP.

As far as seaview is concerned, all input/output is done by seaview, so gets() calls
from PHYLIP are absent in seaview’s files dnapars.c and protpars.c, that are DERIVED
from PHYLIP, not exactly PHYLIP’s versions.
The changes consist exclusively in doing all I/O in seaview and doing all parsimony
computations, without any modification whatsoever, using PHYLIP code.
I’ll try to update those files to the last PHYLIP version, but this requires careful work
to locate exactly what data structure can be exchanged between PHYLIP and seaview.

Sincerely,
Manolo Gouy