[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding r-cran-testthat_0.7.1-1_amd64.changes

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Fri Jan 3 23:31:53 UTC 2014

Hi ftpmasters,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:59:22AM -0500, Paul R. Tagliamonte wrote:
> I recently had a thread about this with him; it should be in your ftpmaster
> mail - the r-people always s/GPL/GPL-2+/g, we should be looking for LICENSE
> files, but it seems like they're not good about that either :)

THe package in question was the dependency for r-cran-testthat which I
uploaded before: r-cran-evaluate.  As promised I have forwarded your
remark to upstream that leaving out a proper LICENSE file is strictly
speaking illegal.  He answered that leaving out the LICENSE file is
common (and widely accepted) practice at CRAN and he even mentioned
accepted examples inside Debian.  I just respondet him that I agree
with you ftpmasters about the legal problem but that I admit I would
not have any handle if it is usual practice at CRAN.  May be they
might change their mind at some point in time but currently I do not
see good chances for this.

Thanks for accepting