[Debian-med-packaging] New version of figtree is hard to detect automatically

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Jul 1 14:58:52 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew,

as you probably remember from past discussion the Debian Med team is
trying to make sure that software which is relevant in Biology properly
packaged for Debian and if any possible at the latest state.  This work
is propagated to Ubuntu and BioLinux.

I realised that you released version 1.4.1 while we only have version
1.4 in Debian.  The problem is that your download page is quite hard to
parse for our automatic scanner that is visiting homepages regularly for
new updates.  Do you see any chance to help us in this aspect?  The most
easy way for us would be if the homepage[1] would contain some link to
some downloadable *source* package (currently you are only providing
binaries) which do contain the version number inside the linked file
name (currently the links are only containing some "&id=XX&num=YY" info
which requirees some nasty (and obviously not reliable tricks at our
side).

As an alternative we could try to parse the SVN tags[2] but the latest
version is not yet tagged.

Kind regards and thanks for considering

    Andreas.

[1] http://tree.bio.ed.ac.uk/software/figtree/