[Debian-med-packaging] [devteam-bioc] Help needed to build BSgenome

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Jul 8 08:03:47 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 12:30 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your quick reply.
>
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 12:05:34AM -0700, Hervé Pagès wrote:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> How are you trying to update BSgenome?
>>
>> Seems to me that you're mixing stuff from BioC 2.14 (current
>> release) and BioC 3.0 (current devel).
>>
>> In BioC 2.14, GenomicAlignments depends on BSgenome, but in
>> BioC 3.0 it's now the other way around i.e. BSgenome depends
>> on GenomicAlignments. So trying to install the current devel
>> version of BSgenome on top of a BioC 2.14 installation is like
>> trying to solve a chicken and egg problem.
>
> I tried BSgenome 1.32.0 downloaded from
>
>     http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/BSgenome.html
>
> which states
>
>      Bioconductor version: Release (2.14)
>
> In Debian I would only provide released versions.
> So at least what I can see this is no chicken and egg problem.

The chicken and egg problem you have could come from packages
that BSgenome depends on (e.g. Rsamtools), not necessarily from
BSgenome itself.

Again, it looks very much like you are mixing stuff from different BioC
versions. Running biocValid() (from the BiocInstaller package) might
help you find the installed packages that don't belong to BioC 2.14.

Cheers,
H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791