[Debian-med-packaging] SSBSS 2014 News & 2nd CfP: Int. Synthetic & Systems Biology Summer School: Biology meets Engineering & Computer Science, Taormina - Sicily, Italy, June 15-19, 2014

SSBSS cfp.ssbss2014 at dmi.unict.it
Mon Mar 3 20:28:00 UTC 2014

2nd Call for Participation (apologies for multiple copies)

Synthetic and Systems Biology Summer School: Biology meets Engineering
and Computer Science,
Taormina - Sicily, Italy, June 15-19, 2014

http://www.taosciences.it/ssbss2014/
ssbss2014 at dmi.unict.it

We are pleased to inform that we received more than 120 applications
and 60 Abstracts/Posters and, due to many requests, we are extending
the application *deadline to March 31, 2014.* For this reason, we will
have up to ~150 slots (no 100 slots as previously written) for
selected and motivated students.

*Application Deadline: March 31, 2014*

* Speakers & Courses *
+ Uri Alon, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
                               Lecture I: Elementary Circuits in Biology
                               Lecture II: Evolution and Optimality of
Gene Circuits

+ Joel Bader, Johns Hopkins University, USA
                               Lecture I: Network Remodeling during
Development and Disease
                               Lecture II: Gene and Pathway Analysis
of Genome-wide Association Studies

+ Jef Boeke, Johns Hopkins University, USA
                               Lecture I: Genome Synthesis
                               Lecture II: Combinatorial DNA Assembly
methods and their applications

+ Jason Chin, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, UK
                               Lecture I: Reprogramming the Genetic Code

+ Virginia Cornish, Columbia University, USA
                               Lecture : TBA

+ Paul Freemont, Imperial College London, UK
                               Lecture I: Foundational Technologies
for Synthetic Biology - from DNA Assembly to Part Characterisation
                               Lecture II: Synthetic biology designs
for biosensor applications

+ Farren Isaacs, Yale University, USA
                               Lecture : TBA

+ Tanja Kortemme, University of California San Francisco, USA
                               Lecture I: Computational protein design
- principles, challenges and progress
                               Lecture II: Design of reprogrammed and
new functions - from proteins to cells

+ Giuseppe Nicosia, University of Catania, Italy
                               Lecture I: Biological Circuit Design by
Pareto Optimality
                               Lecture II: Programming Living
Molecular Machines for Biofuel Production

+ Sven Panke, ETH, Switzerland
                               Lecture I: Synthetic Biology of Cell
free Systems
                               Lecture II: Exploiting Engineered
Cell-Cell Communications in Large Scale Biotechnology

+ Rahul Sarpeshkar, MIT, USA
                               Lecture I: Analog versus Digital
Computation in Biology
                               Lecture II: Analog Synthetic and Systems Biology

+ Giovanni Stracquadanio, Johns Hopkins University, USA
                               Lecture I: Minimal Genomes:
High-Throughput Sequencing, Statistical Methods and Physics Models to
Unveil Minimal Yeast Chromosomes Compatible with Life
                               Lecture II: Computational Tools for
Genome editing, Combinatorial Assembly and Workflow Tracking

+ Ron Weiss, MIT, USA
                               Lecture : TBA

*School Directors*
+ Jef Boeke, Johns Hopkins University, USA
+ Giuseppe Nicosia, University of Catania, Italy
+ Mario Pavone, University of Catania, Italy
+ Giovanni Stracquadanio, Johns Hopkins University, USA

*Short Talk and Poster Submission*
Students may submit a research abstract for presentation. School
directors will review the abstracts and will recommend for poster or
short-oral presentation. Abstract should be submitted by *February 15,
2014*. The abstracts will be published on the electronic hands-out
material of the summer school.

The Applicants may submit a poster or a short talk to present their
recent research work using the EasyChair System:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ssbss2014

Co-located Event: The 3rd International Synthetic Yeast Genome (Sc2.0)
Meeting will be held in Taormina Friday June 20, 2014

http://www.taosciences.it/ssbss2014/									ssbss2014 at dmi.unict.it