[Debian-med-packaging] Please allow relicensing for older versions of two single files from PHYLIP

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Mar 18 13:44:48 UTC 2014

Hi again,

I hope I do not stress your patience to much but I'd like to come back
to my suggestion to express that the existing PHYLIP version could be
used under a DFSG free license of your choice.  Besides in seaview where
I would really like to upload the new seaview version into main Debian
rather than non-free I detected another issue with the unability to use
PHYLIP (the release version 3.695) in main:  We are currently working
hard to get the test suite of biopython running.  Currently we need to
exclude PHYLIP (since it is not in Debian main).  So if you have an
interest that PHYLIP is properly tested for those users who are
accessing it via biopython API the relicensing would be helpful as well.

To accomplish this a mail - for instance to this public list - where you
declare that PHYLIP 3.695 is relicensed under <free license of your
choice> would be sufficient.

Kind regards and thanks for your kind consideration

     Andreas.