[Debian-med-packaging] packaging for camitk 3.3.1 ready

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Sun May 4 20:24:14 UTC 2014

Hi Emmanuel,

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 10:55:38AM +0200, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:

> >is not yet dealt with.  If there is no source for this binary file can it
> >somehow be dropped?
>
> Sorry I missed this one. This file was included in CamiTK 3.2 and
> even "lintian -E -o -I camitk_3.3.1-1_amd64.changes" on my machine
> ("not too much" up to date testing) did not complained.
> This error is a new one in lintian 2.5.22 (I have version 2.5.21 on
> my "kind of" testing, that is why it did not show up).

I'd recommend to always use the latest lintian.  You can pin it using
apt preferences.

> I managed to get the error (Ô the things you learn) when using the
> B10lintian hooks from [1].
>
> player.swf was used to embed a mp4 movie in a automatically
> generated documentation when using the CamiTK wizard (a GUI software
> that helps developer to generate new CamiTK plugins). Therefore it
> is not very important at all.
>
> I added a patch that remove the use of the player.swf in the
> generated html documentation.
> I will make sure this is propagated upstream.
> I also will make sure that the next CamiTK version will get rid of
> this file (and be happy about it!).
>
> My first question: is it possible to get rid of it in the current
> version by using:
> "rm -f sdk/applications/wizard/resources/player.swf"
> somewhere in debian/rules (and if yes, in which rule would you
> recommend to add it) ?
> Or is it useless anyways as this is coming with the source tarball?

It needs to be excluded from the source tarball and this can be done
using

   Files-Excluded

in debian/copyright (when using the latest uscan from devscripts).  For
sure your can also release a new upstream version without this file.

> My second question: lintian says it is possible to add the file in
> debian/missing-sources directory. I read in [2] that it is not a bad
> idea.
> Do you have any idea, if I have to add the file as:
> debian/missing-sources/sdk/applications/wizard/resources/player.swf
> or just as:
> debian/missing-sources/player.swf

This would remain a binary without source in the tarball ...

> I saw on this mailing list [3] that the package phyutility seems to
> have a similar problem with one of the file, but I am not sure how
> similar this is. But anyway, I can promise it won't stay in the
> upstream tarball (and even give a link to the svn commit removing
> this file very soon!)

Sounds good - perhaps the easiest way is a release with this change.