[Debian-med-packaging] FDL with no invariant sections

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue May 20 07:42:40 UTC 2014

Hi

I realised that lintian is claiming:

$ dget http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/emboss/emboss_6.6.0-1.dsc
$ lintian emboss_6.6.0-1.dsc
E: emboss source: license-problem-gfdl-invariants doc/manuals/admin.tex invariant part is: url{http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html , version 1.1 or any later version published by the free software foundation; with no invariant sections, with no front-cover texts, and with no back-cover texts

and I actually removed the files in question in emboss_6.6.0+dfsg but
when I started to edit an e-mail to the authors I checked

  https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#GNU_Free_Documentation_License_.28GFDL.29

to give some reasonable advise to them I'm reading

  Data licensed under the FDL with no invariant sections are considered
  DFSG-free as of GR 2006-001:
  http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#outcome

So before I confuse upstream could somebody please clarify whether the
license is free or not?