[Debian-med-packaging] FDL with no invariant sections

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Tue May 20 17:04:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 10:19:10AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Considering that it is really a false positive - do you think that there
> is much harm done with my stripped upload?  As far as I remember a new
> EMBOSS release is on its way in the next couple of weeks and we can
> reinclude thes files again instead of using an epoch to reactivate the
> old tarball.  What do you think?

Notwithstanding whether you need to do this or not, and I see somebody
has already pointed out that you can use the +dfsgN convention for this,
it's perhaps worth pointing out that you *can't* use an epoch to replace
original tarballs like this.  If you have a package foo with versions
1.0-1 and 1:1.0-1, then the .orig.tar.gz will be called
foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz in both cases, and so an attempt to have that file
have different contents at the two different versions will fail.

(dak normally prevents this.  There are a few cases where it hasn't
noticed, due to the file name having gone through something else in
between; I usually notice when we try to sync it into Ubuntu since
Launchpad remembers the name-to-content mapping for longer and so ends
up being a bit stricter.)

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at debian.org]