[Debian-med-packaging] Any idea why mgltools-sff did not migrate to testing over the last two years

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Oct 1 07:49:59 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:30:17PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > looking at
> >
> >    https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=mgltools-sff
> >
> >     Section: non-free/science
> >     155 days old (needed 5 days)
> >     Valid candidate
> >
> > I fail to see any reason why this package does not migrate to testing.
> >
> > Anybody else?
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I do not know why the “excuses” page does not mention it (perhaps it does not
> parse well data from the non-free area ?), but mgltools-sff is available only
> on amd64 in Sid, while in Jessie it is available on many more:
>
> $ rmadison mgltools-sff
> debian:
>  mgltools-sff | 1.5.6~rc3~cvs.20120206-1 | wheezy/non-free | source, amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
>  mgltools-sff | 1.5.6~rc3~cvs.20120206-1 | jessie/non-free | source, amd64, armel, armhf, i386, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, powerpc, s390x
>  mgltools-sff | 1.5.7~rc1+cvs.20140424-1 | sid/non-free    | source, amd64
>
> Since it is a regression, I think that this blocs testing migration.
>
> It looks like the reason that mgltools-sff was not built was that its
> build-dependance mgltools-bhtree was not available when build was attempted,
> and there was no further attempt.

Ahh - I wished this information would be available from the excuses page.

Well, what would be the most sensible course of action?  Could somebody
please do anything (either by requesting build in the said architectures
or filing a ROM request)?

As you might have noticed I'm parsing regularly

   https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?email1=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org#todo

for problems and I hope this will inspire others as well to watch out
for problems that should be solved before the freeze since the fruits of
our work should be rewarded by really released packages and not some
stuff just hanging around in unstable or is outdated.