[Debian-med-packaging] ABySS version is out of date

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Sep 15 14:38:56 UTC 2014

Hi Tony,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:39:20AM -0700, Anthony Raymond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest version of ABySS listed in the debian-med packages overview is 1.3.7. There is a release 1.5.2, which was released earlier this summer and is downloadable from here:
> https://github.com/bcgsc/abyss/releases/download/1.5.2/abyss-1.5.2.tar.gz
>
> Let me know if there's anything I need to do to get the latest version of ABySS packaged in debian.

I commited the packaging for abyss 1.5.2 into our packaging git[1].
Unfortunately it fails to run the unit tests since the build ended with

make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/buildd/abyss-1.5.2/GapFiller'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'check'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/buildd/abyss-1.5.2/GapFiller'
make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/buildd/abyss-1.5.2'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'check-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/buildd/abyss-1.5.2'
error: To use 'make check' command, please setup
       gtest header&library as shown on the Wiki
Makefile:860: recipe for target 'check' failed
make[1]: *** [check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/buildd/abyss-1.5.2'
dh_auto_test: make -j1 check returned exit code 2
debian/rules:6: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2

While I dadded libgtest-dev to the Build-Depends and the build log says:

checking for boost/unordered_set.hpp... yes
checking gtest/gtest.h usability... yes
checking gtest/gtest.h presence... yes
checking for gtest/gtest.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for main in -lgtest_main... no
checking for g++ option to support OpenMP... -fopenmp
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done

I think the gtest headers are reasonably installed but I wonder what
"-lgtest_main... no" might mean, whether this is connected to the
problem and how to fix this (Steve as maintainer of libgtest-dev in
CC).

While I could cowardly skip the unit tests I would really prefer to
run them.

BTW, since you asked what you can do to get abyss packaged for Debian:
while the package is technically packaged it does not belong to the
Debian distribution since it is regarded as non-free due to its
licensing restriction to non-commercial use.  I wonder whether you might
consider with the people in charge to use a non-restricted license.
This would be really appreciated and if you want me to be more verbose
about the advantages I could go more into details.

[1] git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/abyss.git