[Debian-med-packaging] spades status (was: RFS: mhap - jessie-backports)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Dec 18 07:29:42 UTC 2015

Hi Afif,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:53:01PM -0800, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

> Thanks for the upload :)

You are welcome as always.

> > PS: Any progress with spades?
>
> I'm working on several things at once (wgs-assembler/smrtanalysis/other
> genomics software/others).

I have the strong feeling that you will beat me with the number of
uploads at some point in time (and I admit I'm totally happy about it
if people beat me in this ;-)).

> For spades, I can't realistically work on it
> from my laptop (which is what I usually use) because it needs lots of
> power to build. I have to save that for when I'm on my workstation.

Understand ...

> That reminds me: When I packaged consensuscore, I did not make a headers
> package since I didn't know any other software uses it-- the
> smrtanalysis suite only uses it via python bindings, so that's why I
> called the source package python-consensuscore. I see that spades uses
> its headers, so perhaps we should rename python-pbconsensuscore to
> consensuscore. I can add a new binary package containing the headers so
> we can use it as a dependency for spades.

While I'm not against modularisation of the headers package I'm not
fully sure whether Spades would be the best "motivation" to implement
this.  In my tries to package Spades I was beaten by very strange
effects the more code duplications I wanted to replace by Debian
packaged code.  So yes, if you find the time a consensuscore header
package might make sense but use it in Spades with a grain of salt.