[Debian-med-packaging] htslib symbols missing in 1.3

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Thu Dec 24 04:42:20 UTC 2015

Le Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 02:42:16PM +0000, Sascha Steinbiss a écrit :

> I'm trying to update htslib to the recently released version 1.3.

Hi Sascha,

sorry, I just pushed an update to 1.3 in our repositories without remembering
that you had one locally...

> This worked nicely with the exception of a few symbols disappearing from the
> library, most of which were either made static, replaced by a macro or
> renamed. Not too keen on ABI bumps, I was able to add a small patch with
> wrappers for most of them (see attached patch)

Can you submit your patch upstream, to see their reaction ?  If we only prevent
the ABI bump locally in Debian, we may end up in situations where people do not
understand why something works on Debian and not somewhere else.  In that
sense, if we would like that code developed on Debian works somewhere else, it
is better to either get our changes accepted usptream, or bite the bullet with
ABI bumps.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles