[Debian-med-packaging] Usage of python-drmaa

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Feb 4 10:55:49 UTC 2015

Hi NeuroDebian people,

I intend to package python-ruffus (packaging is in Git[1]) as a
precondition for sga (also in Git[2]).  I tried to run the python-ruffus
test suite and stumbled upon one strange issue which boils down to

$ python
Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 18 2014, 12:50:18)
[GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
>>> import drmaa
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/drmaa/__init__.py", line 41, in <module>
    import drmaa.wrappers as _w
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/drmaa/wrappers.py", line 43, in <module>
    raise RuntimeError(errmsg)
RuntimeError: could not find drmaa library. Please specify its full path using the environment variable DRMAA_LIBRARY_PATH

I tried to find a clue in

   /usr/share/doc/python-drmaa/README.Debian

which says

  To be able to use this module with libdrmaa from Debian's package of Sun
  GridEngine, one needs to set the SGE_ROOT environment variable to point to
  /var/lib/gridengine

but this is not enlightening at all to me since it does not refer to the
problem thrown above nor do I know what an SGE_ROOT is and what the
relation to GridEngine might be (and why it is not in the set of
Dependencies of python-drmaa).

Any suggestion how I can sensibly run the python-ruffus test suite
without running into an error?

[1] git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/python-ruffus.git
[2] git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/sga.git