[Debian-med-packaging] barrnap-data-nonfree_0.5-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Sascha Steinbiss sascha at steinbiss.name
Fri Feb 13 10:16:54 UTC 2015

Hi Thorsten and Andreas,

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 07:53:11PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>> As you wrote somewhere else in the thread you mentioned, that
>> barrnap is not useable without these profiles, I assume that barrnap
>> can be rejected as well, right?
>
> As far as I understood Sascha barrnap is a precondition for other
> packages where it serves its purpose even without the data in question.

That is correct. I have adjusted the barrnap package to only use the
non-free data when it is present, and it will be usable even though it
will be missing some results. So barrnap needs not be rejected, it only
contains free code and data and works on its own.

> Moreover we could start some negotiation about the license of the data
> with the authors.

Well, it seems I might have been wrong about the terms stated by the
copyright holders in their email I linked in my earlier email
(https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2014/11/msg00102.html). To me it
seemed evident that they explicitly allow redistribution ("We discussed
it and in general we agree that the HMM profiles [...] can be
distributed") but with restrictions on the _use_ of the software ("the
profiles are only free for non-commercial usage, commercial users need a
licence"). This is what I would expect for software in the non-free
section, given that such an arrangement (academic use only) can also be
found in other packages in non-free (e.g.
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//non-free/s/seq-gen/seq-gen_1.3.3-1_copyright).
I have also added the respective part of the email to the copyright file
in Debian Med svn to make it clear that the author have granted us the
permission to redistribute on top of the SILVA license given in the
copyright file.

If I am wrong about this assumption, I am sorry for stealing your time
and I will make sure I get into contact with the authors again to solve
the issue.

Thanks
Sascha