[Debian-med-packaging] Debian package for vsearch

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Feb 20 10:47:49 UTC 2015

Hi Torbjørn,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:16:57AM +0000, Torbjørn Rognes wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Thanks for your explanation. I do understand.
>
> Tomas Flouri will make an autotools configuration that handles these things, as you suggested. And then we will not include zlib and bzip2.

:-)

> It would be nice if you could point us to documents with guidelines on how to do these things ideally.

Well, do you mean generic guidelines about this principle?  Than we
have so called upstream guidelines in our Debian Wiki:

   https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#No_inclusion_of_third_party_code

There are some other hints like "Source only tarballs" - which means
that it would be preferable if you would drop the binaries from your
download tarball (and distribute them separately if there is some
request for it which would also be more comfortable for these recipients
to not be forced to download the source).

If your question was rather about the task to write automake code I
could recommend to seek for a similarly looking example.  I wrote two or
three automake scripts using the rich pool of Debian packaged software -
feel free to ask me if you have no clue to find some handsome example.
May be you prefer some kind of tutorial - here are some promising web
search hits (which I did not checked in detail):

   http://socgsa.cs.clemson.edu/seminar/tools06/resources/08_autotools/automake.htm
   http://mij.oltrelinux.com/devel/autoconf-automake/
   http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/automatically_writing_makefiles_with_autotools

Hope this helps