[Debian-med-packaging] Please help clarifying licensed (Was: python-dendropy_4.0.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sat Jul 11 11:50:04 UTC 2015

Hi Jeet,

since we had quite productive discussion about DendroPy I think we could
sort out the things quite quickly.  As you can see below the Debian
ftpmaster found some files with license statements deriving from the
main BSD-3-clause.  Before I mention these explicitly (which would be a
valid solution for the mentioned concerns) I wonder whether these
differences might be simply by accidence and you would rather intend to
change the license at your side.

Regarding the tests I have another suggestion.  When I did the upload
that was rejected I introduced a data set I obtained via the following
script:

#!/bin/sh -e
TAR=DendroPy-test-data.tar.xz
rm -rf DendroPy ${TAR}
git clone https://github.com/pranjalv123/DendroPy.git
cd DendroPy
tar --owner=root --group=root --mode=a+rX -caf ../${TAR} dendropy/test/data
cd ..
rm -rf DendroPy

This was needed to run the unit tests which is usually a part of the
Debian package build process.  For the moment I droped this data set and
switched of the test.  I would like to suggest to provide a workaround
for the case that the test data are missing.  Some kind of printing

The unit tests can not be run without the test data tat are missing
cuurently.  If you want to obtain these data you could use the
following code:
  < script above or something like that >

IMHO this would be an advantage for all DendroPy users in general.

In any case it would make sense to drop some explicit LICENSE file
in the testdata directories to clarify the additional concern of
Debian ftpmaster in case we might decide to add these data at some
later point of time.