[Debian-med-packaging] package gccxml reached end-of-life, successor castxml now available

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jul 23 14:41:22 UTC 2015

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 08:38:22AM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> On July 23, 2015 10:35:57 AM Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > To my opinion it would be great if castxml could provide a wrapper
> > script /usr/bin/gccxml that does the syntax translation above.  I simply
> > have commited a proposed script to castxml Git in debian/bin/gccxml for
> > your inspection.  Opinions about the sense of this idea are welcome -
> > feel free to delete if you think this is not a good idea.
>
> That is an interesting idea.  I hadn't thought of doing that.  I'm going to
> run your proposal by castxml/gccxml upstream (Brad King) to see if he has any
> comments or suggestions.  (I suspect I may have missed some use cases)

I have read your mail and I'm keen on hearing Brad's answer.

> I hesitate a little to include it in castxml because it means a
> conflicts/replaces/etc nightmare.  However, we could, alternatively, replace
> the gccxml source package with this script and upload it as a new version of
> gccxml package (depending on castxml).  Any thoughts on this proposal?

Well gccxml package is RC buggy and not maintained so it will go
(possibly it should go rather sooner than later IMHO).  If we would
provide this fake binary it could go quite simply without breaking other
packages too much (=they are broken now as well - so even if the script
might have its gotchas the situation should no become worse by this).