[Debian-med-packaging] Removing git repos on git.debian.org

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Nov 16 07:42:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:17:30AM +1100, Kevin Murray wrote:
> > However, if the packages might have a bioinformatics background and are
> > mentioned on our tasks pages (may be featuring citation data) it would
> > be good if you announce this here explicitly.  In this case I would
> > consider also parsing DPMT repository to scan metadata information that
> > might be needed on our tasks page.
> >

> These four packages (python-sphinxcontrib.bibtex, pybtex-docutils, python-oset
> and python-latexcodec) are generic python packages. Sandro Tosi, who I believe
> is part of the DPMT, specifically requested these be maintained under the DPMT.
> I would probably prefer to do them under Debian Med, as this team seems to have
> a much more responsive group of senior members, but Sandro has convinced me
> that they should be in DPMT (see https://bugs.debian.org/800358).

OK, fine.  These are really generic.  While we have some generic
packages in Debian Med I agree with Sandro that these packages would be
rather natural targets for DPMT.  I'd also trust the DPMT for beeing
sufficiently responsive - feel free to ping me in case of a sponsoring
bottleneck.

> > Could you please be more verbose why your interest in packaging this has
> > stopped?  I personally see no need to remove anything just because there
> > is no intend to finish it at the moment.  There might be some interest
> > by somebody else later.  If you ask me it would be better to just add an
> > explanation why you stopped working on this in debian/README.Debian or
> > so.
>
> Wgsim isn't a case of an unfinished package, it was a case of me mistakenly
> creating the package to start with. Long story short, the samtools package
> already packages a wgsim binary, see https://bugs.debian.org/791873. Therefore
> (notwithstanding upstream changes) the packaging is unlikely to be useful in
> the future.

Ahhh, so you mean:

 $ apt-file search bin/wgsim
samtools: /usr/bin/wgsim
samtools: /usr/bin/wgsim_eval.pl

OK.  I have removed wgsim from the med-bio task.  I'm not sure whether
it makes sense to create a separate binary package from wgsim out of the
samtools source package if there might be people who would seek for a
wgsim package.

> > I think its fine to leave something even if it is not finished (as in
> > the wgsim case).  The metadata are used on our tasks pages and might
> > provide some information for other users.  Adding a reason why the
> > work is not continued might be another valuable information.
>
> I think I'll let it fester for now, after adding a README.status. There is a
> very remote chance that in the future samtools will remove wgsim from their
> source (this was discussed on github[1], but they decided against it).

Sounds sensible.