[Debian-med-packaging] Script called by placnet (Was: Placnet packaged for Debian)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Nov 17 16:39:48 UTC 2015

Hi again,

since we want to provide Debian packages of placnet I would like to give
a hints and have two questions:

As a hint please read

    https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#Language_extensions_in_scripts

why it is not a good idea to name a program with the programming
language extension (in this case .pl).  I would recommend to drop this
extension in a next version.

I found in the code two lines

        system("gmhmmp_heuristic.pl -s $contigsFile -out tmpGM -a");
        system("gmhmmp_heuristic.pl -s $contigsFile -out tmpGM -d");

but I have no idea where to get gmhmmp_heuristic.pl from.  Could you
please give any link?

Finally a question about the usage.  I'm personally no user of placnet
but I was told by somebody who is not using the packaged version that
the placnet.pl script needs to be available in the directory where you
want to create your database.  Is this true and if yes, could this be
changed?