[Debian-med-packaging] Tool names CodonW

Sascha Steinbiss satta at tetrinetsucht.de
Tue Nov 24 18:55:52 UTC 2015

Dear John,

I'm contacting you on behalf of the Debian Med team, a group within the Debian project that targets software for biology and medicine. We are currently packaging CodonW for Debian but we have noticed a slight problem with it that you might be able to help us with.

I hope my email reached the correct person as the email address listed on the CodonW web page seems to be no longer able to receive mail (554 delivery error: This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (jfp_hanson-codonw at yahoo.com)).

The issue at hand is that the names of several symlinked 'tools' created by the installation do clash with the names of separate binaries from other software packages, e.g. CodonW's ‘cai' tool clashes with the EMBOSS executable of the same name. We are wondering whether probably a rename of the symlinked tools would be OK with you (and probably find its way into a new release of CodonW?). For example, a prefix of ‘codonw-‘ could do the trick.
We could just rename the problematic symlinks in Debian but we would definitely prefer a solution that we both are happy with.

Of course, if you have a different suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

FYI, these are the problematic symlinks and the packages they conflict with:

emboss: /usr/bin/cai
cu: /usr/bin/cu
fop: /usr/bin/fop
graphviz: /usr/bin/gc