[Debian-med-packaging] Adding libkmc-dev to the kmc package

Sascha Steinbiss sascha at steinbiss.name
Thu Oct 1 22:33:28 UTC 2015

Hi Kevin,

>> The kmc package is intended by upstream to be usable as a C++ library. So, I've
>> added a C++ libkmc-dev package which distributes the headers and a static
>> archive. This work has been pushed to daube/libkmcdev of the git repo on
>> git.debian.org.
>
> Thanks! I will take a look later when I have some free time off work.

Looks good. I just built the package from that branch with no build issues:
gbp buildpackage -uc -us --git-pbuilder --git-ignore-branch --git-upstream-tag=upstream/2.2
[…]

However, the static archive looks a bit small in my build:
[vagrant at debian-8:/vagrant/kmc] $ dpkg -c ../libkmc-dev_2.2+dfsg-2_amd64.deb | grep libkmc.a
-rw-r--r-- root/root         8 2015-10-01 22:16 ./usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkmc.a

It looks like KMC_LIB_OBJS was empty at build time, and my static archive seems to have ended up empty as it was build by:
ar rcs libkmc.a
ranlib libkmc.a

>> I've used gbp pq to manage patches, and it made some automatic changes to the
>> patch queue. So, please review the patch queue, and if any of the changes annoy
>> you, I'll revert them and use quilt.
>
> Uh... I'm afraid I don't have much experience with that tool but will
> read the documentation and let it convince me ;)

Ok, I have the same feelings about it that Andreas has. I probably will be sticking with quilt.

Cheers
Sascha