[Debian-med-packaging] AUGUSTUS licensing questions

Sascha Steinbiss sascha at steinbiss.name
Fri Oct 2 17:27:34 UTC 2015

Dear Prof. Dr. Stanke,

I am writing as a member of the Debian Med packaging team, whose goal it
is to bring the world of bioinformatics software to Debian (and
eventually Ubuntu) users. Currently I am considering packaging AUGUSTUS
for Debian but I have a few questions regarding some licensing issues
w.r.t. its source code.

While the src/ directory in the current tarball (as well as
http://bioinf.uni-greifswald.de/augustus/binaries/) contains a copy of
the GPLv3, the individual .cc source files mention the Artistic license
in their headers. I would be very thankful if you could briefly advise
how to interpret this contradiction.
There are also various pieces of C/C++ source code (e.g. in the auxprogs
subdirectory) and Perl scripts (in the scripts subdirectory) which do
not contain any license header.

In all cases it would be very helpful if you could probably add some
unambiguous license information to make the overall licensing situation
a bit clearer.

Many thanks and kind regards
Sascha Steinbiss