[Debian-med-packaging] please re-try insighttoolkit4 with lots of space

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Mon Oct 5 04:09:07 UTC 2015

Hello!

On October 4, 2015 11:26:53 PM Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> If you look at
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=insighttoolkit4&arch=amd64
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=insighttoolkit4&arch=i386
> you seem to be rapidly growing in disk space needed to build it.

Interesting.  Note that python bindings are probably the single biggest
resource consumer.  The bindings were not enabled until 4.5.1, so I will
ignore data before that version.

Looking at i386, we see disk usage increase from  24GB to 30 GB (25%) over 4
versions / 1.5 years.   However, it's not certain that all these versions are
strictly comparable; some of the increase might be due to enabling additional
wrapping items as we go.

The amd64 page provides only one data point (42 GB for version 4.6.0-3+b2)
because the other post-4.5.1 builds are failures.  Comparing with the i386
build for the same version indicates amd64 uses roughly 60% more space.

> Do you intend to keep growing at the current rate?

I'm merely the maintainer, so I don't form intentions regarding build
resources.   We do have some control over what wrappings are enabled and
perhaps we were overzealous with wrapping for 4-dimensional images (see
#759794).  We'll likely turn this off but I don't know how much disk it will
save.

> Do you have an estimate of what we can expect the next few years?

My best guess is to use the past history of 25% growth in 1.5 years.

Best regards,
-Steve