[Debian-med-packaging] [Python-apps-team] cython for jessie-backports

Afif Elghraoui afif at ghraoui.name
Wed Oct 14 06:16:25 UTC 2015

On الثلاثاء 13 تشرين الأول 2015 05:56, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>>> well, given that backport's priority iirc is lower that stock jessie,
>>> maybe it wouldn't hurt as badly
>

>> I believe you're correct, but why should it hurt at all? If those
>> packages specify cython << 0.23 in d/control during backporting,
>> shouldn't they get jessie's cython rather than jessie-backports'
>> regardless of default priorities?
>
> my concern was about packages which natively exist in jessie.  The do
> not specify cython << (how could they know?).

I know you gave the ok below, but I still don't understand how there
could be a potential problem...

The packages on jessie are already built and don't need cython anymore
after that, right? Even if for a package on jessie might need to be
rebuilt to incorporate a patch for stable-updates, that should not be
depending on anything from jessie-backports at all. Am I missing something?

> I am giving blessing for someone to prep "proper" backport upload of
> cython to jessie ;)

:) Do you have a special definition of "proper"? I'm using the -v flag
to get changes since stable if that's what you mean.

I'm currently building it (and it's been taking a while...), but I'll
need a sponsor. I plan to upload it to mentors when it's ready.

Thanks and regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي