[Debian-med-packaging] Help needed to build libhmsbeagle using OpenCL

Ghislain Vaillant ghisvail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:33:37 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas, my answer inline below

On 21/10/15 14:14, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got the hint that libhmsbeagle only expresses its real performance
> advantages when using OpenCL.  I personally do not have any experience
> with OpenCL and simply added
>
> 	libpoclu-dev,
> 	ocl-icd-opencl-dev

The correct build dependency to build with any OpenCL environment is:

ocl-icd-opencl-dev | opencl-dev,

And for testing with any OpenCL ICD:

pocl-opencl-icd | opencl-icd

You may also add clinfo if you need to test for OpenCL capability in
d/rules, see below.

> I assume the reason is that the chroot environment does not see any
> graphics hardware.  Does this mean I need to exclude this test (which
> I actually considered quite helpful) or is there any trick to get the
> test working even in a chroot?

Yes. Only POCL is the only ICD likely to provide OpenCL capabilities
within all chroot in the future. However, I have had little success with
other package test suites (asl, arrayfire, compute...) using the version
of POCL currently in Debian (v0.10). Some upstream devs reported better
success rate with the latest upstream version (v0.12).

Regarding solutions, you may want to just disable the subset of the test
suite that requires OpenCL for now, or at least surround the execution
of the OpenCL tests with OpenCL capability detection. Please have a look
at the discussion here for a nice implementation [1].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2015/08/msg00081.html

Hope this helps,

Ghis