[Debian-med-packaging] Help needed to build libhmsbeagle using OpenCL

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Oct 23 13:17:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a totally different question about OpenCL:  Assume I have
successfully built it locally.  When checking the availability of
libhmsbeagle features beast-mcmc (which uses libhmsbeagle) provides a
check which in my case looks like:

$ java -jar /usr/share/beast-mcmc/beast.jar -beagle -beagle_info ...
Using BEAGLE library v2.1.2 for accelerated, parallel likelihood evaluation 2009-2013, BEAGLE Working Group - http://beagle-lib.googlecode.com/
Citation: Ayres et al (2012) Systematic Biology 61: 170-173 | doi:10.1093/sysbio/syr100

BEAGLE resources available:
0 : CPU
    Flags: PRECISION_SINGLE PRECISION_DOUBLE COMPUTATION_SYNCH EIGEN_REAL EIGEN_COMPLEX SCALING_MANUAL SCALING_AUTO SCALING_ALWAYS SCALERS_RAW SCALERS_LOG VECTOR_SSE VECTOR_NONE THREADING_NONE PROCESSOR_CPU FRAMEWORK_CPU

1 : Intel(R) HD Graphics IvyBridge GT1 (OpenCL 1.2 beignet 1.0.3)
    Global memory (MB): 2048
    Clock speed (Ghz): 1,00
    Number of multiprocessors: 6
    Flags: PRECISION_SINGLE COMPUTATION_SYNCH EIGEN_REAL EIGEN_COMPLEX SCALING_MANUAL SCALING_AUTO SCALING_ALWAYS SCALERS_RAW SCALERS_LOG VECTOR_NONE THREADING_NONE PROCESSOR_GPU FRAMEWORK_OPENCL

So the application sees the GPU via libhmsbeagle.

However, a mac user told me that it looks like:

> BEAGLE resources available:
>
> 0 : CPU
>
>     Flags: PRECISION_SINGLE PRECISION_DOUBLE COMPUTATION_SYNCH
> EIGEN_REAL EIGEN_COMPLEX SCALING_MANUAL SCALING_AUTO SCALING_ALWAYS
> SCALERS_RAW SCALERS_LOG VECTOR_SSE VECTOR_NONE THREADING_NONE
> PROCESSOR_CPU FRAMEWORK_CPU
>
> 1 : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4258U CPU @ 2.40GHz (OpenCL 1.2 )
>
>     Global memory (MB): 8192
>
>     Clock speed (Ghz): 2,40
>
>     Number of multiprocessors: 4
>
>     Flags: PRECISION_SINGLE PRECISION_DOUBLE COMPUTATION_SYNCH
> EIGEN_REAL EIGEN_COMPLEX SCALING_MANUAL SCALING_AUTO SCALING_ALWAYS
> SCALERS_RAW SCALERS_LOG VECTOR_NONE THREADING_NONE PROCESSOR_CPU
> FRAMEWORK_OPENCL

!!!!

> 2 : Iris (OpenCL 1.2 )
>
>     Global memory (MB): 1536
>
>     Clock speed (Ghz): 1,20
>
>     Number of multiprocessors: 280
>
>     Flags: PRECISION_SINGLE COMPUTATION_SYNCH EIGEN_REAL EIGEN_COMPLEX
> SCALING_MANUAL SCALING_AUTO SCALING_ALWAYS SCALERS_RAW SCALERS_LOG
> VECTOR_NONE THREADING_NONE PROCESSOR_GPU FRAMEWORK_OPENCL

So the way more important point here is the multiprocessor feature which
is actually wanted for beast-mcmc.  Any idea how to activate this?  I'm
afraid this is rather a question for upstream but may be somebody here
has some experience.