[Debian-med-packaging] Mothur - Debian patches

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Sep 14 13:53:19 UTC 2015

> > I made a separate source package because Mothur is updated frequently
> > but this will be updated infrequently if at all.
>
> Hi Tim,
> I guess it makes me volunteering obsolete?

In what sense?  I've just nicked all your updates for the main Mothur
package and put them into Bio-Linux, so from my point of view you are
being very helpful. :-)  Mothur updates a lot so if you have the time to
keep on top of it this is fantastic - I wish I had the time myself but I
don't.  I apologise for not reading the changelog properly and thus
thinking that the updates came from Andreas - he's just corrected me on
this and I'll talk directly to you about anything I do with Mothur from
now on.

> > You probably also want to check my assertion in debian/copyright that
> > this is not a creative work and not subject to copyright.  As I didn't
> > think I was sending this package to Debian Med I didn't give it too much
> > thought.
>
> I'm confused: in what sense these files are not creative work? The
> page you mentioned plainly states "This code is made available without
> warranty for non-commercial use only" and "Permission is granted for
> anyone to copy, use, or modify these programs and documents for
> purposes of research or education, (..)". It looks quite incompatible
> with DFSG to me.
>
> Although these files are only data, I'd say that they are incompatible
> with DFSG, just to be on the safe side.

Like I said, take 'em or leave 'em.  Most people are moving away from
454 anyway so these files become increasingly less relevant.

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology