[Debian-med-packaging] Seqan moved from svn to Git

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Mon Sep 28 07:11:28 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

On 08:48 28/09, Andreas Tille wrote:
<snip>
> > > That's fine for me ... if somebody else would implement it. :-)  I'm a
> > > bit afraid about the burden of maintenance since the different binaries
> > > might change from release to release and might require extra builds to
> > > reflect this which is quite time consuming.  But in principle I'm a fan
> > > of modularisation if it is worth the effort.  Currently we have a popcon
> > > for seqan-apps of 5 active users.  So it is not a high number of systems
> > > that is "bloatet" by extra unneeded binaries.  If you see an advantage
> > > for your personal work - just do it.
> >
> > I see your point, there would be quite a burden. I'm happy with a single
> > seqan-apps, but if it annoys me in the future, I'll probably jump in and split
> > the package.
>
> As I said that's perfectly fine if it fits a certain need.  As an
> intermediate step that might avoid running cycles through ftpmaster new
> queue for new or removed apps you might consider
>
>     seqan-common-apps
>     seqan-lesscommon-apps (with a better name here for sure)
>
> which might be adapted to user needs while not increasing the maintenance
> burden to much.

How about:

    seqan-apps
    mason  # for the mason genome simulator suite
    razerS3

So, per application packages for the most useful few applications, and then a
catch-all seqan-apps for the rest?

If you think this is a good idea, I'll start with just seqan's mason genome
simulator in a separate package, as that's the one I use the most.

To the list/world in general: please chime in if you use any of the seqan
applications and want them in a separate package. Otherwise I'll guess which
are the most useful based on citations or something. Or, most likely, just keep
them all in seqan-apps until someone requests otherwise.

Another question Andreas: is seqan-dev or libseqan-dev a better name for the
headers? I guess it's currently called seqan-dev as seqan is normally referred
to as "seqan", not "libseqan" (cf. libbz2-dev, libbamtools-dev, etc.)?

Cheers,

---
Kevin Murray

GPG pubkey: http://www.kdmurray.id.au/static/A4B4EE6A.asc
FPR: 656C 0632 1EAB 2C3F 3837  9767 17C2 8EB1 A4B4 EE6A