[Debian-med-packaging] How to specify files not in source package in d/copyright (Was: liblemon_1.3.1+dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Helmut Grohne helmut at subdivi.de
Sun Aug 7 15:19:20 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 11:37:03PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 05:00:09PM +0000, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> > as you somehow add jquery.js to your doc-package, please add its license
> > to your debian/copyright.
>
> The jquery.js is installed by doxygen in the documentation process.  It
> does not belong to the source package (the full autogenerated
> documentation provided by upstream was intentionally removed to avoid
> compressed JS files).  I wonder why I should add licenses of files that
> are not part of the source package and do not even have an idea how I
> could do this syntactically correctly - lintian would claim an unused
> copyright paragraph and IMHO lintian is correct here.

I believe that Thorsten was not aware of this common exception.
Traditionally, Doxygen emebeds a file jquery.js into documentation
trees. Despite the name, jquery.js is not JQuery, but an compilation of
various BSD-ish licensed JS libraries. I asked whether dh_doxygen should
be helping with the creation of Built-Using headers, but no consensus
was reached on whether they are needed, which is why it doesn't do
today.

Instead of blaming this mess on a random Doxygen user, I'd expect
participation in a discussion on how to solve it for all users.

Though given that doxygen is a key package, it is (like perl) too big to
fail, so we don't do anything about it beyond documenting[1] the issue.

Can we move on now?

Helmut

[1] /usr/share/doc/doxygen/README.jquery