[Debian-med-packaging] migration exception for mhap

Jonathan Wiltshire jmw at debian.org
Mon Jul 25 09:13:13 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-24 23:11, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> على الأحد 24 تـمـوز 2016 ‫05:32، كتب Jonathan Wiltshire:
>> On 2016-07-23 23:14, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>>>
>>> mhap is arch:all. libssw-java contains Java bindings for its C
>>> library
>>> and is not supported on i386. The dependencies are not broken. I hope
>>> this is a clear enough explanation.
>>
>> Yes, I know all that, but your dependencies are still broken. Your
>> package is uninstallable on any architecture other than amd64.
>>

> I thought arch:all meant that the package doesn't have
> architecture-dependent files,

Yes.

> not that it's supposed to be usable on
> every single one.

It still has to be installable.

> Barring porting libssw to i386 or reducing functionality of the package
> to remove dependency on libssw, would you prefer that I declare mhap as
> arch:any so that it only builds for architectures where it will be
> installable? Then we'll have multiple copies of the exact same package
> for amd64, kfreebsd-amd64, and x32.

That doesn't help you at all, because it's still uninstallable on
anything that is not amd64.

>> For performance reasons britney only tests installability on amd64 and
>> i386 (hence the message), otherwise the list would be much longer.
>>
>> A package cannot migrate if it is not installable on the test
>> architectures.
>>

> For the purposes of mhap, it is a package for scientific research and
> would probably not be usable on i386 even if it could be installed
> there. It requires more powerful processors than anything that is i386
> that I am aware of (besides am64 CPUs posing as such, but the package
> works on x32 anyway).

Maybe you want "arch:any-amd64 x32" then?

> If you really want me to jump through this hoop, I will be disabling
> some functionality of the mhap package. I'm hoping it won't come to
> this.

I don't know to which hoop you refer. Being able to install a package is
a basic criteria for it to be in testing.

Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw at debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

<directhex> i have six years of solaris sysadmin experience, from
             8->10. i am well qualified to say it is made from bonghits
			layered on top of bonghits