[Debian-med-packaging] License for libfastahack and libsmithwaterman

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Jun 27 15:10:17 UTC 2016

Hi Erik,

I'm writing you on behalf of the Debian Med team which is a group inside
Debian with the objective to package Free Software in the field of
medicine and biology.  My intention is to package FreeBayes.  To do so I
was working on libsmithwaterman and libfastahack since in Debian we are
following the modularisation principle and these are needed to build
libvcflib.  Since it simplifies the build process I've created autoconf
support which you can find in our packaging git if you are interested
([1], [2]).

BTW, you could support my attempt by adding proper version numbers to
the libraries and tag the releases in Github.

However, the main issue why I'm writing to you is that our ftpmaster
noticed that both libraries are lacking an explicite licensing
statement.  While there is the file libdisorder.LICENSE in both
repositories this seems to cover only the code copy or libdisorder and
not your own code.  It would be good if you could clarify the licensing
of your code for both libraries.

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/libfastahack.git/tree/debian/patches/autoconf.patch
[2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/libsmithwaterman.git/tree/debian/patches/autoconf.patch