[Debian-med-packaging] Please package r-cran-bh for Debian

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 22 19:00:10 UTC 2016

On 22 March 2016 at 19:31, Andreas Tille wrote:
| On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:53:00PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > My messages to debian-med-packaging bounced. So we may as well write in
| > German and just between the two of us...
|
| Please stick to English - I could at least full quote you to keep other
| competent people in the row (even if I have no idea why the mail would
| bounce ...)
|
| > | Not sure what you mean by 'virtual'?  I'm to uneducated in R to give any
| > | advise what can be done to fulfill the dependency from 'BH'.  I have
| > | seen R packages that can be replaced - I think r-bioc-zlib is something
| > | we've got rid of by linking directly against zlib1-dev.  If you mean
| > | something like this I might have a look how we did things in this case.
| >
| > We could try the following:
| >
| >   1)  I create a new R package called BH4debian. It contains 'nothing'
| >   2)  We package it for Debian as BH.
| >   3)  Now R thinks there is a package BH. Builds of dplyr etc are happy.
| >       a) "All that R does" when it sees a LinkingTo: BH is to provide
| >          a proper -I directive for the compiler.  No more, no less.
| >       b) We don't even need a softlink as Boost headers are found anyway.
| >
| > I could set this up and you could test it on dplyr.  It it works....
|
| That would be great if it would work.  Regarding the version issue you
| were mentioning in your other mail between boost 1.58 and 1.60: I'm
| pretty sure that the boost transition in Debian is a complex process.
| It would be great if your plan would work with any version of boost
| available in Debian.

Two problems:

-- Debian's BH will be all of Boost, so something may work for someone here
   and then fail on 'the real BH'. Not good.

-- In general, I hate divergence in behavour between Debian packaging and
   upstream.  The 1.58 to 1.60 difference is one.

So maybe package r-cran-bh as usual after all?

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org