[Debian-med-packaging] Problem updating spades backport

Afif Elghraoui afif at ghraoui.name
Wed Mar 30 06:54:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

على الثلاثاء 29 آذار 2016 ‫23:11، كتب Sascha Steinbiss:

> Indeed asciidoctor only has manpage support since 1.5.3, which is a fairly new version. Nevertheless, it seemed to be a more future proof option for me than ronn (which has been without upstream support for ages and caused weird FTBFS on some platforms) and asciidoc (which is quite heavyweight with lots of XML processing).
> I indeed reverted the commit introducing asciidoctor for my spades backport to trusty [1] and that solved this problem. Reproducibility tests are not run on stable so I don’t think it’s that much of an issue there, also the other problems with ronn in I noticed in unstable did not seem to surface in jessie. I see this might be a bit more tedious to merge if the manpages change often in newer versions since the syntax used in the manpages is slightly different as well.

> In this light I would rather try backporting asciidoctor 1.5.4 to jessie (it should only depend on Ruby) because I have switched manpage builds for most of my packages to asciidoctor now, and that would address this problem for good in the backports ;)

In this case, I suggest you set the minimum version of asciidoctor in
the Build-Depends fields of those packages. I just did so for spades in
its master branch, but it will be necessary in the future for aptitude
to recognize the need to pull asciidoctor from jessie-backports rather
than jessie.

Thanks for your feedback
Afif

--