[Debian-med-packaging] BioConductor interactiveDisplayBase can't connect to bioconductor.org

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu May 12 06:45:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

I intend to package BioConductor interactiveDisplayBase as a new
dependency for biovizBase version 1.20.0 (of BioConductor 3.3) as a
Debian package.  The Debian packaging process involves loading the
package and since the packaging process needs to work on a machine
disconnected from the internet it results in the following error:

* installing *source* package ‘interactiveDisplayBase’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Warning in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  unable to connect to 'bioconductor.org' on port 80.
Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) :
  cannot open the connection
Error : unable to load R code in package ‘interactiveDisplayBase’
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘interactiveDisplayBase’

I wonder whether there is any chance to make this error non-critical
and add a warning to enable passing this step without breaking the
build on a disconnected box.

BTW, even if I try to do this on a box connected to the internet via
proxy the build ends with the same error which is IMHO a real bug inside
interactiveDisplayBase since it does not respect the http_proxy variable
(and possibly whatever means will be done to set the proxy on non-Linux
systems which I did not verified).