[Debian-med-packaging] Problems to find classes that should be in itext1.jar

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Mon May 23 13:53:52 UTC 2016

Hi Emmanuel,

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:18:58PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> iText doesn't contain any headless.awt.* class. It looks like the iText
> code was copied and modified the turn the 'import java.awt.*' statements
> into 'import headless.awt.*'. I guess as some point they copied and
> relocated the java.awt classes to disable the exceptions on systems
> without a display. Since Java 1.4 this can be avoided by setting the
> java.awt.headless property to true.
>
> I think you have two options:
> 1. remove the iText source files from the LibrarySource directory and
> use the libitext1-java package instead
> 2. if it doesn't work because the itext code was further modified, patch
> it and replace 'headless.awt' with 'java.awt'

Seems this worked from the itext part.  I was running into other problems
that are basically cause by several Mac specific things I'd tried to get
rid of[1].  I admit I do not have a very good feeling by fiddling so much
with the code and I have some remaining errors like:

CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/commons-httpclient.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-lang.jar:/usr/share/java/dom4j.jar:/usr/share/java/itext1-1.4.jar:/usr/share/java/pal-cvs.jar jh_build --javacopts='-target 1.7' --javacopts='-source 1.7' mesquite.jar Source LibrarySource
find Source LibrarySource -name *.java -and -type f -print0 | xargs -s 512000 -0 /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/javac -g -cp /usr/share/java/commons-httpclient.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-lang.jar:/usr/share/java/dom4j.jar:/usr/share/java/itext1-1.4.jar:/usr/share/java/pal-cvs.jar:debian/_jh_build.mesquite -d debian/_jh_build.mesquite -target 1.7 -source 1.7
warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.7
Source/mesquite/genesis/lib/RateMatrixGTRModel.java:29: error: cannot find symbol
        TransitionProbability transProbs = null;
        ^
  symbol:   class TransitionProbability
  location: class RateMatrixGTRModel
Source/org/apache/hivemind/util/PropertyAdaptor.java:166: warning: non-varargs call of varargs method with inexact argument type for last parameter;
            return _readMethod.invoke(target, null);
                                              ^
  cast to Object for a varargs call
  cast to Object[] for a non-varargs call and to suppress this warning
Source/mesquite/lib/MesquiteFile.java:1068: error: cannot find symbol
                                                MRJOSType type = MRJFileUtils.getFileCreator(writingFile);
                                                ^
  symbol:   class MRJOSType
  location: class MesquiteFile
Source/mesquite/lib/MesquiteFile.java:1068: error: cannot find symbol
                                                MRJOSType type = MRJFileUtils.getFileCreator(writingFile);
                                                                 ^
  symbol:   variable MRJFileUtils
  location: class MesquiteFile
Source/mesquite/lib/MesquiteFile.java:1103: error: cannot find symbol
                                        try {MRJFileUtils.setFileTypeAndCreator(writingFile, new MRJOSType("TEXT"), new MRJOSType(setFileType));}
                                                                                                 ^
  symbol:   class MRJOSType
  location: class MesquiteFile
Source/mesquite/lib/MesquiteFile.java:1103: error: cannot find symbol
                                        try {MRJFileUtils.setFileTypeAndCreator(writingFile, new MRJOSType("TEXT"), new MRJOSType(setFileType));}
                                                                                                                        ^
  symbol:   class MRJOSType
  location: class MesquiteFile
Source/mesquite/lib/MesquiteFile.java:1103: error: cannot find symbol
                                        try {MRJFileUtils.setFileTypeAndCreator(writingFile, new MRJOSType("TEXT"), new MRJOSType(setFileType));}
                                             ^
  symbol:   variable MRJFileUtils
  location: class MesquiteFile

Any further hints are welcome