[Debian-med-packaging] updating camitk package

Emmanuel Promayon Emmanuel.Promayon at imag.fr
Tue Oct 4 15:08:13 UTC 2016

On 04/10/16 12:30, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 12:11:34PM +0200, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
>> As you probably noticed, I completely messed up the pristine-tar
>> branch by doing the commit as root, push them to origin and then
>> unsuccesfully tried to amend the user name and email (where I
>> messed up the git repository even more). Hope this will not be a
>> problem in the future. Sorry about that! My git experience is very
>> poor...
>
> heh, nevermind it :) for the future: you could have just removed the
> commit before pushing (but you had to notice it beforehand) by git
> checkout pristine-tar git reset --hard origin/pristine-tar that would
> have removed all commits you had (and discarded the changes) until
> the branch is in the same state as on the "origin" remote.

Yes, my problem was that I only realized it after the push... So I tried
a rebase on the previous commit, did an amend that did only partially
succeed, and then realized too late that local and origin diverged
and... (hum...) end up with a big mess...

> (Though it makes me wonder if you do development work as root?!)
In fact my intention was only to try the packaging process on sid in a
docker image (where I lazily just have defined a root account), and to
the git commit / push from outside the docker with a proper account. It
happens that I messed up the two console...
Sorry again.

>> In fact, I just figured out that it might come from the CMake
>> tweaking (as all the other packages that were based on CMake did
>> not have this error)... and I found the culprit! The CXX flags were
>> overwritten in the top-level CMakeLists.txt, so no flags were given
>> to the compiler. I commited the change and add the corresponding
>> debian/patches.
>
> great!
>
> Things on it: * usually patches are not applied in master; there is
> one git workflow where they are, and I know of very few people happy
> with that. Patches applied in master also means that in the case you
> want to update a patch as it's stored in debina/patches/ it'll be
> quite a quest (unless you use git-dpm, that workflow I was talking
> about). Usually patches in git are stored only as simple patches in
> d/patches and dealt directly with quilt (as I do), or by `gbp pq`;
> the 2 tools are quite compatible each other, so the usage of bare
> quilt by a person doesn't prevent another one to use gbp pq (except
> that some headers would get mangled, but the patch itself would just
> work). Probably you can't notice the difficulty now as you have only
> one very simple patch there. * you added a Bug-Debian field on that
> patch, pointing to a bug that has nothing to do with the patch
> itself. * please also consider adding an Author field on the patch

Thanks for all these detailed and useful comments. It helps a lot!
I am going to try:
- undo the commit on master (and make sure I will remember this and
don't do it next time)
- correct the d/patches for the right bug id and add more information
about the patch

Do you think that would be ok?

Again, thanks for your quick and detailed answers. I always learn a lot!

Mahnu