[Debian-med-packaging] Your NMU of pirs

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 16 17:18:21 UTC 2017

On 01/16/2017 06:12 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> If I see a maintainer on this list with the statement "all packages", I assume
>> they mean it that way. If you prefer to be contacted beforehands, please put
>> a comment on that page explicitly stating that.
>
> As far as I know an NMU should at least fix a bug.  As I tried to
> express I'm *personally* fine with what you did.  However, as you
> noticed the conflicting uploads could have been avoided and I might add
> to this page that the NMUer should try to get the changes commited to
> VCS (where ACLs are set to grant any DD commit permissions).

The conflicting upload happened, because I was a bit tired. Human error.

I already saw that -5 was uploaded, but accidentally picked -4 for the
source to work on.

>> Besides, it's not really acceptable to have a package in an FTBFS on release
>> architectures for such a long time, really.
>
> If you know a solution for this kind of problem documenting it in BTS is
> the traditional way to go.  The Debian Med team is quite quick to upload
> packages with patches applied.

Come on, this fix was super-trivial and incredibly obvious due to build
log, yet you didn't even bother to fix it in the already fifth revision
of the package. I don't consider this good practice.

And I already asked on #debian-med and the answer was "This is Andreas'
package, you have to ask him."

> I just want to avoid two things:
>
>    * competing uploads
>    * changes missing in VCS to avoid regressions

Here's one thing from my side as a buildd maintainer:

Waste of computation power for packages that are build without producing
a sensible output. This is really annoying, especially when I'm paying
for the electricity myself.

If you have issues with packages not building, please ask. But don't
upload over and over again with the attitude "I care about x86 only."

> Thanks for your fix anyway

You're welcome.

And, btw, it's Adrian, not John.

Thanks,