[Debian-med-packaging] ugene - why is it in nonfree ?

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jun 15 06:40:02 UTC 2017

Hi Charles,

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:22:39AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Fortunately, PHYLIP has been freed as of version 3.696, so updating
> src/plugins_3rdparty/phylyp/src/* in UGENE would allow it to be distributed in
> our main section.

Thanks for bringing this up.  While this could move UGENE most probabl
to main I wonder whether we could start an effort to strip all unneeded
third party software from UGENE and rather use the Debian packaged
versions of these.  I'd love to bring UGENE in a better packaging state
but I'm simply lacking the time for this.

PS: In this aspect UGENE is similar to IGV which is also free license wise
    but it has several remaining binary jars.