[Debian-med-packaging] changes to nanopolish packaging

Afif Elghraoui afif at debian.org
Mon Nov 13 02:56:50 UTC 2017

Hi, Steffen,

On November 11, 2017 6:07:38 AM EST, "Steffen Möller" <steffen_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
>Hi Afif,
>
>On 11.11.17 06:44, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>> Hi, Steffen,
>>
>> I am just about to upload the latest nanopolish release and had a
>couple
>> questions about your changes. First, you have this patch:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Despite the patch description, it looks to me like the return code is
>> still ignored. While it's now not being thrown away, it's not
>actually
>> being checked. Do you want to instead report this as an issue
>upstream?
>
>These patches are not mine, I hope. May just have refreshed them.
>IMHO they are wrong to have since
>
>a) they ony trick the compiler but do not address the check that was
>omitted
>
>b) they encumber updates of the packages for no good reason

Right. I'll try to remember to throw it out at the next upload.

>> My second question is about the -flto flag you added to the build. Is
>> that something we should be adding to more of our packages?
>
>Well, my personal opinion is yes, since this speeds up computations
>enormously and saves resources, too.
>
>Not everyone feels this way, though, wary of hidden compiler problems
>or
>other effects.
>
>Please cross-check with https://wiki.debian.org/LTO and
>https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/03/msg00399.html

Thanks for the links and explanation. :)

>I there a chance to get you to attend our Sprint in February in
>Barcelona?

Probably not.. I paid fully out of pocket for Debconf (missed the bursaries deadline) and went on my own time, rather than using my vacation to visit family. I don't want to repeat that, and going for work is likely not an option since we're not using Debian at all.

Although the positive difference this time is that I'm closer to Europe than before (US east coast now).

regards
Afif