[Debian-med-packaging] seq-gen svn to git repository

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Sep 6 13:12:42 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 02:55:58PM +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> I want to update seq-gen which lives so far in svn repo.
> My plan is to use  gbp import-dscs --debsnap seq-gen instead of
> converting the repository from svn to git.
> Is there a better way to do it ?

Thanks for the attempt to move packages from SVN to Git.  We should
probably force the migration a bit.  I'm doing it with any package
(except r-* - at least for the moment) I need to touch.  To keep the
full commit history the following usually works:

  $ svn checkout svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/helper-scripts
  $ cd helper-scripts
  $ convert_svn_2_git seq-gen
  $ cd seq-gen  # check that debian/ dir exists - if not check logfile!!
  $ git branch upstream
  $ gbp import-orig --pristine-tar <orig.tar.gz_of_last_uploaded_version>

I only use

  gbp import-dscs --debsnap

as a fallback if the procedure above does not work.  The obvious reason
is that the resulting Git repository will only have artificial commits
from each upload but no real commits from SVN.

> What should be done with the svn
> repository afterwards ?

  $ svn rm tags
  $ svn rm trunk/debian
  $ svn commit -m"Moved packaging to Git"
  $ svn up
  $ svn cp ../../njplot/trunk/README.status trunk/
    # I just remember njplot - there are other sensible templates
  $ vi trunk/README.status
    # Add commitID of removal and new Git location
  $ svn add trunk/README.status
  $ svn commit -m"Document move to Git"

Just let me know if something might remain unclear.

Hope this helps

        Andreas.